Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

@Suburbman just said on Twitter...'There's a special kind of melancholy to New Year's Eve.' It made me pause. It is a time so bound with hope, promise, excitement balanced by the feelings regarding the year about to close. It has never been my favourite holiday until quite recently.

I remember childhood New Years watching television with my grandfather (my parents presumably were out at a party). I would snuggle close as we'd watch King Kong and then I would wake to see the New Year in to sound of Guy Lombardo's orchestra playing Auld Lange Syne...

The teen and single years were fraught with not looking back, but looking to the possible...the possible boyfriend that is...that New year's kiss that could be the start of something couldn't it??? Alas it never was and by the time I reached the second half of my twenties  girl friend and I would head to the mountains for New Year's Eve. We'd have a great dinner, enjoy a few drinks in the bar and disappear before midnight....well, we were there to ski after all. The slopes would always be deserted on New Year's Day until about two...

Then I met the man that was to become DH and we spent our first New Year's Eve together with his family in Cornwall. I can still remember standing out on the balcony looking down on the fireworks at the Ferry Boat Inn across the river as a new decade began...

That was the beginning of the change for me...I had found my soul mate so there was no more need to be searching for that perfect kiss that would begin something new....now it was a kiss that keeps building something wonderful.

So as I sit here in my kitchen preparing for New Years Eve...rib of beef etc...I realize this might be the last year for a while that I will have all my kids with me.  DS1 will soon bore of our black tie dinners, family games...and go and seek out the perfect kiss....

Wishing you all a wonderful New Year. May 2012 bring you good health and blessings and if you haven't found your perfect kiss....maybe this will be the year.

2 comments:

  1. A sort of Coming of Age, seen through the changing ways in which one celebrated New Year's Eve. I enjoyed your look back over your past.

    I'm sure that your children won't tire of your traditions - they will become their traditions, too, until gradually over the years, when they determine the structure of Christmas, they make the occasional small changes.

    A Happy New Year for the coming year - may it be a great one for you and your family.

    Liz X

    ReplyDelete